How to Find the Cheapest Car Insurance in Washington County, RI
Car insurance is one of those things we are all stuck with paying like taxes. You have to show your insurance coverage if you are stopped by the police in Washington County, RI for just about anything, including a broken tail light. You also have to have proof of insurance in most states to register your car.
There are a number of factors that go into calculating how much your insurance will cost. Some of these are the age of the car, the type of the car, the condition of the car, your age, your driving history and the type and amount of coverage you purchase. With all these factors you could end up paying two to three ties what you should pay for your insurance.
If you do some planning, however, you can get low insurance rates. There are several things you can do to find the least expensive car insurance.
- Compare, Compare, Compare - Call insurance agents listed in the Yellow Pages or go online and search some top insurance companies. Most companies have websites explaining their different policies. Answer honestly and to the best of your knowledge all the questions, personal as well as car-related, asked by insurance companies or agents. You should receive a quote in just a few minutes. Repeat this process for as many companies as possible and compare the quotes provided.
- Add safety features to your car such as an alarm, airbags and automatic seat belts. There are other features you can add as well, such as automatic locks, steering wheel locks and automatic shut off devices. Any of these will reduce your premiums.
- Often a yearly policy instead of six-month policy will save you money and get you a lower quote. Compare both prices to see how much of a savings there is between the annual policy and the 6 month policy.
- You might not think it makes much of a difference but it does make a difference if you are sure to specify the least distance or time it takes to reach your job. The quicker you reach your workplace the lower your insurance cost. In addition, if you don't drive much or work out of your home, this works very well to your advantage in keeping your premiums down.
- Insurance companies offer discounts for being affiliated with their member directory including organizations such as AARP, AAA Auto Club and more. Ask the agent or the company representative for more information.
- Good credit can get you better discounts and more discounts. Good credit means (on paper) that you are responsible; pay your bills on time and more. As a result, insurance companies will assume that you are as careful with your driving as you are with the other important issues in your life.
If you have more than one car, you can save considerably. Some people have separate cars for the summer and winter seasons. Both cars are rarely used at the same time or during the same time period. Specifying the storage periods of each and buying comprehensive storage coverage could lower your insurance rate significantly. Even if you have a single car that you may not drive too often, be sure your insurance agent knows this.
If you can use any of these ideas to your advantage when looking for low and/or reasonably priced insurance you should be able to save yourself some money.