Almost every state has laws stating that people have auto insurance, but the actual regulations regarding auto insurance vary from state to state - so the type of coverage that you require depends on the state in which you live in.

Even if there are no laws, it is highly recommended that you have some form of cover; otherwise you may end up paying out huge amounts of money in the event of an accident, or even losing your home, in a worst-case scenario.

Get the best deals when shopping for auto insurance in USA. Request USA insurance quotes and compare!


Things You Should Know About Auto Insurance

Choosing and buying a car can involve a great deal of research in USA, finding one that meets your needs and is within your budget. And after all of that you then have to negotiate the minefield that is car insurance.
There are many different types of auto insurance available, and learning how auto insurance quotes are generated can help you save a great deal of money. This article will help you understand car insurance in more depth, and help you choose a policy that matches your needs and budget. When buying any product, being informed is crucial to getting the best deal available to you.

Do I have to buy Auto Insurance?
In almost all states you are legally required to have some form of auto insurance. Even if you are not legally required, it is strongly recommended that you have cover, as if you are involved in an accident you may be responsible for paying for repairs costs, medical bills and various other expenses that are involved. Even if you were not at fault, the cost of paying for legal representation to defend yourself can be very high if you are not covered in any way.

Factors that Affect Your Insurance Premiums
There are several factors that affect the amount you pay for your auto insurance, including:

  • Your age, gender and marital status
  • Your previous driving record (whether it is clean or whether you have violations)
  • The amount of coverage that you require from your policy
  • The amount of people that you would like named on your policy
  • Your previous credit history
  • The make and model of car that you want insured
  • The neighborhood in which you live in

Discounts that can reduce your costs
It is also possible to lower your quotes if you are eligible for a discount. This can arise through a number of reasons, such as:

  • If you have anti-theft devices installed on or in your car
  • If you are a student
  • If you are over a certain age (usually 50)
  • If you insure more than one vehicle on the same policy
  • If you pass an advanced driving course
  • If you have a low amount of annual mileage

Getting Quotes
When you compare rates from multiple companies, make sure the quotes are for the same level of coverage. Also make sure that you always ask for a discount, as you may be unaware of a type of discount that you are eligible for. Remember that a quote is only an estimation of the amount that you will have to pay, and that exact amount can be affected by other factors further down the line. A good idea is to ask for a non-binding application before you change auto insurance providers – you new agent can do this for you, and will let you know at exactly what price a company will insure you before you cancel your existing policy.

Car Insurance Q & A

Question: If someone borrows my car and crashes it, does my insurance apply, or does theirs?
Answer: Generally speaking, the liability follows the car, so your insurance would apply, as it is your car. The liability insurance of the driver often pays the additional amount if the costs payable are above your policy limits.

Question: If a child goes to college with mom or dad’s car, are they covered under the parents’ personal auto policy?
Answer: This can vary from company to company. Check with the insurance provider and make sure that the child is listed as an additional driver. Do this before the child goes to college, and it will avoid unnecessary disputes later on.

Question: Do I need ‘gap’ insurance?
Answer: If your vehicle is on finance, and its value is now less than the amount you owe, then yes you need gap insurance. If you owe less than its value, then no, you do not need gap insurance.